Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 2

Today we woke up early to a delicious breakfast that was prepared by some of the people who stay in the accommodation housing at the temple. On the temple grounds there are 3 buildings that offer housing to different people for various reasons. Most people who are called to serve at the temple or in the office are housed in this housing. Also the different people that work on the grounds like security, maintenance, landscaping etc are offered housing. The housing is very inexpensive, especially considering how expensive it is to live in London and the surrounding areas. People who come to visit the temple can also stay on the grounds for a very low price. I can't imagine the cost even covers the cost of cleaning the rooms and washing the linens. Your purpose of the stay is supposed to be to visit the temple. Thankfully we knew the right people because we stayed Sunday and Monday nights, both days of the week the temple is closed, so we were not able to attend the temple during this stay. We made it back later in the week though, so we did attend one session at the temple.
One of the buildings that houses people. I think the temple president lives in this one. 


This is the van that George drove us around in. I am SO glad we didn't rent a car and I wasn't stuck driving in a car with Jeff! I don't think we would have survived that! This is also a picture of the outside of the office that they spend their days (and sometimes nights) working in.

After breakfast we were a little bit lazy while we decided what we were going to do the for the day. We were so grateful that George and Myrna were able to take the day off to spend with us. They are so busy and I know that getting time off is hard to do. It was a bit rainy out (of course). We wanted to visit Stonehenge but couldn't decide if we wanted to drive the distance in the weather. Or we were thinking of visiting a nearby castle. We went with Stonehenge. By the time we had driven the almost 2 hours to get there, it was pouring outside! We were troopers and got out anyways. They had these cool portable information speakers that you put around your neck to tell the story of Stonehenge. It was just so windy and rainy that we didn't get to spend much time listening to them or paying much attention to what they were telling us. We basically walked the circle around Stonehenge, took a few pictures and went back to the car. We were all soaking wet. It was really neat to see, but I sure wish we could have spent time there to actually learn more about the history. I guess I will have to read up on it when I get a chance. (probably never)

Clara looked at this picture and said "that's a cool umbrella, it even goes inside out!" Ha! That's how windy it was.

It really was amazing how tall the stones were. I can't even fathom how they were able to construct such a large monument. I also have no idea what the purpose was, but it sure was neat to see it!

We headed back to the flat and got ready for dinner. We went to this very yummy Thai food restaurant that is close by. I should have taken a picture of our food. Mine came out in half a pineapple shell, it looked as good as it tasted. I love Myrna's home cooked meals and it was so nice to have some on our trip, nothing beats them, but if I had to give up one of Myrna's meals for something, this meal would be acceptable.

I'm so grateful for every moment we had the chance to visit with them.

1 comment:

Alysha Sladek said...

I'm sooo glad you were able to go viist. I can't wait to see more pictures. It DOES look windy! Wow. But man does it ever look like a cool place to be! Lydia is getting SO BIG!!