Sunday, October 07, 2012

Day 5

Today was an uneventful day, but I feel like I can't skip right to day 6 without acknowledgement of day 5.

We traveled back to London on this day. We woke up really early, and thankfully we knew our way to the train station. We took the underground train to the main hub station, which is right at the entrance of Disneyland Paris, so I was able to catch one last glimpse.

While waiting for our train Jeff introduced me to the yummiest treat, pain au chocolat. My biggest complaint about this was why he waited until we were leaving France to tell me about it!!! I could have been enjoying one for 2 whole days, but nope, I only got to taste one. It was delicious! It's basically a chocolate croissant but I have had chocolate croissants before, when I worked in a bakery, but they had nothing on these. My mouth is watering thinking about it. I'm sure I took a picture of it, but alas, I can't find it, so I will just post a random picture from the internet. 

We took an uneventful train ride to our stopover in Lille, where unlike our journey out, we had what we needed and thought we would have no issues. Of course that would be too easy. Apparently you need to listen to the intercom at that train station when they explain (in French, so I'm not sure I can be blamed for this one) that you need to go to a certain gate before catching your train. Apparently we needed to clear customs, and we were the very last people through. They were getting ready to shut customs down when we got there. The only indication we had that we weren't in the right place was when an incoming train left, we were the only ones still on the platform. Apparently everyone else heard the message correctly and had gone where they needed to go. Oops. Thank goodness we avoided that travesty. 

This was before we were the only ones left, I decided to take a picture, just enjoying the moment, wasting time while customs was shutting down...

The train is a comfortable ride, and if it didn't move so fast it would be great to see the countryside. Only it made me nauseous to look out the window. So I didn't. 

We arrived at the London train station where it was very evident they were preparing for the Olympics. We hadn't noticed it from inside the station on the way out, but coming from the outside of London in, it was very evident. Once again the station was packed, but at least we were very well educated on this journey, since we had already practiced it once. We knew what trains to take where and which way to go without being trampled. Thank goodness.

Our train to East Grinstead (which takes us to Jeff's parents) was going to be a while, so we wandered around the train station and found some shopping. Haha, of course. We made a quick stop in the store called NEXT. I have always wanted to order things online from there, but never have. It was nice to be in the store. We made some quick purchases, where I finally found a suitable London shirt for myself. It was a goal of mine to come home with one. The one I bought wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I do get a ton of compliments on it whenever I wear it. Probably more from teenagers, but whatever, that's not important. 

George was waiting for us at the train station and took us back to our flat. This time we were staying in a different building then we were before. It was the building that covers the gate into the temple grounds. It was a really cool looking building. Our flat was quite large as well. 

This is the building that our room was in. It's the gate we also came in every time we returned from an adventure.


Of course we were lucky enough to be fed by Myrna again. I sure miss her meals. We visited again until we just couldn't stay awake anymore and went to bed. Looking back now, those are the moments I enjoyed and miss the most.
Getting some more Grandma snuggles in. 


1 comment:

Alysha Sladek said...

what a sweet picture at the end. And aren't those croissant things fantastic?? I bet they're even better in France :) Ate one a day while in Ontario. So tasty