Thursday, June 23, 2011

Teacher Gift


First, I just have to say that today there is reason to celebrate!! I never have to make lunches for Clara in grade 1 ever again!! Tomorrow is a pizza lunch for the school and Monday is only a half day, so no more lunches!!! I know there are some people out there who understand...I can't be the only one who hates doing it, can I?

We finished Clara's teachers gift and I am so happy with it. I have to tell you how much I appreciate Clara's teacher. We started the year with a different teacher and while she was a great teacher her teacher as of January has really left a lasting impression on Clara. It was hard not being able to get out and volunteer in the class. So much of me wants to do that and be involved in Clara's school life, but with Donovan and Elliot at home, it's just too hard. The one thing I loved about this teacher was that she always kept in touch with us. Teachers always say to email them, but when you do, you never hear back. Not Mrs.MacKenzie. She always emails back and often within an hour or so. Even on weekends she will answer questions. She has always offered me feedback and always made me comfortable with how Clara is doing in class. I finally had an opportunity to volunteer last week and I got to see her in action. After watching her as a teacher, I can see why Clara adores her. So I wanted to do something special for her and thought this was the perfect idea for her.

We made her a book. It is titled "What will Mrs.MacKenzie Do This Summer?"

"She might...get a coffee"
There is a Tim Horton's gift card
"and read a book."
With a gift card for Chapters
"Maybe she will make crafts" (cont'd below)
There is a gift card for Michaels on this page.
"while eating ice cream."

"I hope she won't forget about me,
I know I won't forget her.
Love, Clara Kearl"
Then Clara glued a wordle to the back. Mrs.MacKenzie taught her class how to do these and now my kids are addicted to them. It definitely made sense to add one to her teacher gift. Now we all know this is not a professionals job, but Clara is in grade 1, so I think her teacher will be thrilled.

I know I have already said this, but I am so very grateful for Clara's teacher. I am so lucky that we have some one so great in our lives. It takes some one special to be a teacher but it's amazing when you get some one like Mrs. MacKenzie! So thank you Mrs.MacKenzie!

2 comments:

Alysha Sladek said...

WOW that is an AWESOME gift idea!! I might have to copy for Austin's teacher...
And you are DEFINITELY not the only excited about no more lunches!!! Only I'm DREADING next year, so maybe I should be grateful for the lunches this year.... nah haha
I wish we had a half day. We're full days until Tuesday and then that's the last day grrrrrrrrrrr

Emily said...

that is amazing!!!! what a creative, cute gift!! for sure her teacher will LOVE it and appreciate it soo much! you are a good mom!!