So the kids had This past Monday off. I had all these great plans to take them somewhere fun. Then I got really sick. I got hit with the worst cold I think I have ever had a few days before. So we ended up staying home. I planned on setting up Christmas in our house. Well I was too sick for that. Poor kids, another boring day for them. I figured to lighten the day I would let them pick anywhere they wanted for lunch. I put myself together and got everyone ready to go. I went into my room for one last thing and Donovan started crying. Now he has a tendency to whine and I have a tendency to ignore it. So when he came to me I basically told him to deal with it or we weren't going for lunch. He was holding his head and wouldn't stop crying so I decided to give him the attention he wanted. He was covered in blood. Probably more blood than I have ever seen before. My first thought was what a great mother I am. Second thought was oh no, what do I do? I cleaned the cut up enough to realize we were headed to the hospital, not lunch. So I patched him up really fast, trying to remain calm and we loaded in the truck. Poor Donovan. He was in so much pain. It was a long drive. We finally got to the hospital and checked in. The nurse told me he would probably need stitches. Of course I wanted to say duh, but I restrained. I mean, do you think I would really drag 3 kids to a disgusting, dirty, ER if I didn't have to? We waited about an hour, that's a perk to small towns as I'm sure in the city it would have been at least double that. We were all starving so we ate lunch from their vending machines while we waited. That's right, if you didn't already think I am mother of the year, perhaps our lunch of cheesiest, pop and crackers does. Anyways, Jeff managed to make it and save Clara and Elliot. Donovan saw a doctor and he decided that no stitches were needed because it was such a clean cut. They used that super glue stuff and put bandages over top. Donovan told me he was never going to become a doctor because he didn't want to have to hurt kids heads by taking old bandages off and putting new ones on. He decided he is going to teach kindergarten instead because that makes kids happy.

Waiting for the Dr.
I would say our day off was not as planned, that's for sure but I'm glad we got Donovan taken care of. He has had a terrible headache since but he's so brave and so strong. I was so proud of him when he saw the doctor, you could tell he was super scared but he acted so tough.
Today would be the day we could take the bandages off. Well, last night while the kids were getting ready for bed, Donovan came running up to us and asked why his head was bleeding. Sure enough, more blood. Poor guy. I called healthlink just to see if it was worth the drive. She told me to take the bandage off, Donovan started crying and yelling "no, don't touch my bandage". I talked him into it and thankfully it was so soaked in blood it almost fell off. It seemed the corner of it was not healing and was quite swollen. So back to the ER. Donovan wanted his dad to take him cause he didn't want to get blood in my car. Ha! He got right in at the hospital (small town blessings) and I'm told he was brave again. They glued him back together and now we hope it heals. Poor guy had to miss soccer on Monday, and again tomorrow. (Soccer and Wii are the two things he is most passionate about, so that is a big sacrifice for him).

This is a picture of his reopened wound. These pictures aren't great, they were taken on my phone. I guess I was too worried about getting him to the hospital to take better pictures. Maybe that scores me some mom points?
What cut his head open you ask? The couch! Of all things. Clara and him were goofing around and she pushed him. He fell into the couch and ended up with a wound about 1.5" long and about a cm wide. I could not tell how deep the wound was, I did not see the end of it, but I know it was pretty deep for a couch wound. Clara felt terrible and cried with Donovan all the way to the hospital. Thankfully we don't visit the hospital very often which is why Donovan is excited to bring his hospital bands and head wound to show and tell later today. It just happens to be his day for show and tell today, so at least he gets something out of the hole in his head, as he likes to call it.
1 comment:
That makes me so sad. Poor little man. I hope he's doing ok.
Post a Comment